Click to enlargeCaptain HRH Alfred Duke of Edinburgh - 389

Tristan da Cunha

The community was still no more than eleven flax thatched cottages built from blocks of volcanic rock when, in 1867, HRH Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and second son of Victoria, visited the island while voyaging round the world and gave the settlement of Edinburgh its present name.

The Settlement of Edinburgh now numbers just over 300 proud and hospitable people with only seven surnames among them. Through the islanders veins flows the blood of English sailors from Nelson's fleet, Americans, Italians, Dutch and mulattos from St Helena and South Africa. English is the native tongue, albeit a slightly strange, preserved Georgian dialect laced with a few early Americanisms.

Courtesy:-




Stevengraph Collectors Association
You can click on most images to see larger images or more information.

We wish to buy Stevengraphs. One at a time or collections. We also seek photos, brochures or any item of related history.
  • Malcolm J Roebuck,

  • Copyright © 1999-2017 Stevengraphs Bookmarks & Postcards Etc.