Balmoral Castle has been the Scottish home of the Royal Family since it was purchased for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert in 1852, having been first leased in 1848.
The original castle was considered too small for the needs of the Royal Family and under the supervision of Prince Albert a new building was designed. The castle was built from granite from the neighbouring quarries of Glen Gelder, which produced a near white stone.
On 28th September 1853 the foundation stone of the new castle was laid by Queen Victoria and building was finally completed in 1856. The original castle was demolished and the position of the front door of the old castle is marked by a plaque on the front lawn.
When Queen Victoria died in 1901 Balmoral Estates passed, under the terms of her will, to King Edward VII, and from him to each of his successors.
You can click on most images to see larger images or more information.
We wish to buy Stevengraphs. One at a time or collections. We also seek photos, brochures or any
item of related history.
- Malcolm J Roebuck,
- Copyright © 1999-2019 Stevengraphs Bookmarks & Postcards Etc.